Art & Design at Langton Green
At Langton Green we believe that all aspects of Art and Design should be a source of pleasure within the whole curriculum. Children explore and develop their skills and creativity using a wide range of media. We encourage the importance of experimentation, exploration and pushing ideas in imaginative ways. We have just introduced Art and Design Scrap books for each class. We want to showcase the creative journey that our children are taking as it is really something to be proud of!
Our Key Elements for teaching Art and Design
We ensure that throughout their work, our pupils are taught:
- Pattern and texture in natural and made forms
- Colour matching and colour mixing
- How images are made using line and tone
- The use of shape, form and space in images and artefacts
- How to develop, plan and communicate ideas
- Work with tools, equipment, materials and components
- Evaluate processes and product
- Investigate artists and significant figures in creative design
In the EYFS the children will be taught creativity in art, craft and design by:
- Exploring colour and how colours can be changed.
- Understanding that they can use lines to enclose a space, and then begin to use these shapes to represent objects.
- Begin to be interested in and describe the texture of things
- Uses various construction materials.
- Begin to construct, stacking blocks vertically and horizontally, making enclosures and creating spaces.
- Join construction pieces together to build and balance.
- Realises tools can be used for a purpose.
Key Stage 1
In KS1 the children will be taught creativity in art, craft and design by:
- Using a range of materials to design and make products
- Using drawing, painting and sculpture to share ideas, experiences and imagination
- Developing techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space using clay and printing to a large scale and in 3D
- Being taught about the work of a range of artists, craftsmen and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines and making links to their own work.
Key Stage 2
In KS2 the children will be taught creativity in art, craft and design by:
- Recording their observations and using them to review and revisit ideas
- Collect visual materials to help them to develop their ideas
- To improve their mastery of techniques such as drawing, painting and sculpture with materials (e.g. pencil, charcoal, paint and clay)
- Learn about the greatest artists, architects and designers in history