Primary School PE Funding
At Langton Green we value the difference that Physical Education makes to the health and well-being of our children. We believe that a varied and innovative curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities can have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and achievement in all areas of our young people’s lives.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE. Each school receives approximately £8,000 plus an extra £5 per pupil – for Langton Green that means around £9500 a year. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Sports Premium Funding Allocation for 2017/18
This year: In addition to continuing last year's achievements we intend to:
- To Continue Professional Development for Teachers in Gymnastics and Dance.
- Run a focused ‘Girls Can Club’ after school.
- Offer Extra-curricular clubs for Football and Running after school.
- Balance Ability Year R
- Bike Ability Year 6
- To introduce new sports in school- Fencing and Lacrosse
- To introduce new sport outside of school- Skiing lessons
- To build a New Challenge Trim Trail.
- Focus on inclusion, in particular encouraging our girls to be more physically active, engaging in PE as well as extracurricular sports clubs.
- To ensure all children make better progress in swimming by employing an additional swimming teacher and developing an improved strategy for the school.
- To increase the number of children who compete at County Level and encourage those with particular talents to pursue them.
- To update some of our older equipment. Currently on order are 2 x Netball posts for our competition pitch. Gymnastics equipment including a Vault Box, Floor Beam and Mats.
- To focus on continued Health & Well-being and how we can promote a healthy lifestyle in all year groups.
- To achieve Gold award for School Games mark for a 4th consecutive year.
- Get new pitch markings for the school field.
- Update our Playground equipment.
- Enter the Dance Competition at Tunbridge Wells Assembly Halls.
Impact of PE & Sport - 2016/17
Last year we implemented and has successes in:
- Continued professional development of teachers working alongside professionals in PE & sport. Targeting areas our teachers feel they need most support.
- Teachers worked alongside coaches where possible, to enhance their knowledge of extra-curricular sports clubs.
- Whole Staff training delivered to staff on management of gymnastics equipment and the teaching of gymnastics at school.
- Ongoing development of our Leadership academy. This has been successful in the previous year and we intend to build on this. Our leaders will continue to support in our school competitions and also receive training to run clubs.
- Increase participation in the School Games with Gold Award Achievement UK.
- Additional support for our students in the lead up to these competitions, giving every opportunity for them to succeed.
- Increased number of children competing in events at County and National level.
- Introduction of 'The Daily Mile' initiative to promote Health and Well-being
- Gold award for Sainsbury's Kite mark for 2 consecutive years.
- A number of pupils ranked in the top 10 at a county level decathlon competition.
- Pupils exposed to different sports/games in alternative activities unit during PE lessons such as; Kurling, Tri-Golf, Indoor Kurling, Dodgeball and Ultimate Frisbee.
- Football team won ˜medium" schools league and both A and B teams got to the final schools football tournament.
- Increase in amount of pupils representing West Kent football across all key stages.
- Pupils in year 4 and 5 winning schools X-country league.
- 3rd and 2nd for years 5/6 and 3/4 respectively, in Tunbridge Wells Sportshall athletics competition with the highest score achieved by Langton Green at both events.
- Winners of Tunbridge Wells Schools Mini Hockey tournament at Tonbridge School.
What we have spent so far in 2016/17
Sports Premium Money received £9,322
- Teacher Sports Training £1,000
- Two class teachers have been up-skilled to provide independent sports teaching to their classes.
- Specialist Dance Teacher via Tonbridge & West Kent Sports Partnership £6,700
- A specialist dance teacher will be working with each year group to provide a fun and exciting dance programme. Class teachers are receiving training during these sessions, allowing them continue dance programmes within their classes.
- Additional Swimming Instructor £600
- By having an additional instructor funded by the school we able to offer smaller group teaching to strengthen and improve learning.
- Hever Castle Triathlon £300
- 30 of our children will experience participating in a Triathlon event held at Hever Castle. This has become a regular event on our sports calendar and is an amazing experience and confidence boost for the children who take part.
- After School Clubs £1,500
- The school provides skilled coaching for football, Netball, Athletics and Running.
- Equipment Replacement £1,900
- We are currently updating some of our older equipment. Ordered so far are 2 x Netball posts for our competition pitch. Gymnastics equipment including a Vault Box, Floor Beam and Mats.
Total Spent: £10,100
As part of the School Games scheme, we have again been actively participating in the following events: Football, Netball, Hockey, Cross country, Indoor Sports Hall Athletics, Gymnastics, Cricket, Tag Rugby, Tennis, Pentathlon, Swimming Gala, Tri-Golf, Infant Agility and Basketball.
Our aim is to continue investing in the improvement of PE by using devolved school funds to supplement the Sports Premium, and we continue with our programme of up-skilling all staff.
Our next training programme will targeting Gymnastics and is planned for the Spring term.
What we spent the money on in 2015/16
Sports Premium money £9,184
- Specialist PE Teacher 2.5 days a week £9,000
This has allowed the specialist teacher to support 12 teachers over the last 2 terms. Two class teachers have been up-skilled to provide independent skilled sports teaching, and two class teachers are now running effective extra-curricular clubs. The success of the Athletics club has produced two National Cross Country finalists from the school.
- Tunbridge Wells Sports Partnership Membership £3,200
- Netball Coach training for 2 staff £200
- Additional Swimming Instructor £600
By having an additional instructor funded by the school we are able to offer smaller group teaching to strengthen and improve learning.
- Hever Castle Triathlon £300
30 of our children were able to experience participating in a Triathlon event held at Hever Castle. This was an amazing experience and confidence boost for the children who took part.
- Bikeability £340
This training was successfully completed by our Y6 children, enhancing cycling skills and road safety awareness.
Total spent: £13,640
As part of the School Games scheme, we have actively participated in the following events:
- Football, Netball, Hockey, Cross Country, Indoor Sports Hall Athletics, Gymnastics, Cricket, Tag Rugby, Tennis, Pentathlon and Swimming Gala.
Our successes this year have been an undefeated Football team, 2 National Cross country finalists and a move up to the A league in the Tunbridge Wells Schools Swimming Gala.
We are actively seeking new skills and new sports and have introduced Golf, Flag Football, Ultimate Frisbee and Climbing at Tonbridge School Sports Centre. These have been specifically aimed at the children who wouldn’t usually take part in sport.
We continue to invest in the improvement of PE by using devolved school funds to supplement the Sports Premium. This will allow us to continue with scheduled whole-school training of our teachers and targeted training of individual staff, which will continue throughout the school, up-skilling all staff.
What we spent the money on in 2014/15
Sports Premium Money £8,829
- Funding towards a specialist PE Teacher through Tonbridge and West Kent Sports Partnership, to provide skilled sports teaching to Year groups 1–6.
- Bikeability course for Year 6 children.
- Staff PE coaching for selected staff members.
- Whole school staff PE training for 1 Inset day.
- After school Running and Athletics Club.