School Travel Plan
A School Travel Plan promotes active, healthy, safe and sustainable travel to school.
The main objectives of a School Travel Plan are to:
- Improve health through encouraging active travel and reducing harmful emissions.
- Improve the environment through reducing congestion, reducing pollution and CO2 emissions and improving facilities for walkers and cyclists.
- Improve safety through highways engineering measures and increasing road safety education.
- Improve access and opportunity by developing pupils' skills for safe and independent travel.
School Travel Plan Successes
At Langton Green Primary School, we are keen to keep encouraging environmentally conscious, healthy and safe travel to and from school.
As part of our aims to mitigate road safety concerns, improve the physical health of our pupils and to reduce pollution within the village we have had some significant changes already, working in partnership with the parish council:
- A 20mph speed limit has been implemented in the village during key school travel times.
- A pedestrian crossing, with a crossing patrol officer, operates at the start and end of the school day.
- We encourage pupils to ride bikes and scooters to school, providing storage facilities for them during the day.
- We allow Year 5 and 6 children to walk home from school, alleviating some of the local traffic pressures.
Our Travel Plan
Langton Green has a School Travel Plan, which can be viewed here, and the current objectives are:
- To work with Speldhurst Parish Council to promote greater safety for pedestrians and vehicles in the village.
- To reduce the conflict between vehicles, pedestrians and residents by improving the parking facilities.
- To encourage more children and their parents to walk, scooter and cycle to school.
- To re-establish our "Walking Bus" initially from the SPC car park.
- To ensure that our pupils are well-educated about road safety.